[ExI] How the world collapses

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun May 18 23:27:14 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Tara Maya

>>.My notion is that most of what we now consider more precious than oil can
be eliminated and we can still have a good life, while using way less
energy, way less.

>.I'm surprised at you, Spike.

>.Just as no one has the right to tell me, for political reasons, that I
have no right to watch my kids play soccer, so I consider it rather
obnoxious to tell me that it's a "waste" of energy to do so.

Indeed not madam.  There are no political considerations anywhere in the
discussion.  The factors controlling these matters will be entirely
economic.  Really where I was going was not eliminating these matters but
recognizing we can take longer to get there, and vastly reduce the cost of
getting there.  We don't need to tear around the way we do.

>.Children, work, trade, sports, health, family, entertainment and
politics?! (You only left out dating. Let me add it back into that list.)
The things you disparage are life itself, not incidental to life.

Sure, do them.  Take your time.  Accept a conveyance that accelerates at 0.2
G and tops out about 100 kph, and there you have it: a conveyance which
carries perhaps 8 liters of Diesel and carries a prole 300 km, city or
highway, not much difference.  The vehicle I envision will not be as fast as
our beloved V8s, but would be waaay cheaper to operate.

>.Of course, you may make other choices, but that makes my choices no less
important than yours.

My vision allows you to not only keep your current choice, it adds a bunch
of new ones.  The only real downside I can see is that slowpokes might get
in your way; that is a legitimate objection.  But consider the sport car
enthusiast who plunks down a few hundred K for a McLaren.  That rig can go
over 300 kph.  The rest of us proles are always in her way.  We can't afford
to go that fast.

I don't intend to give up my beloved V8.  But I can imagine a bunch of
self-driving series hybrids always in my way.  Then I get to feel like I am
a frustrated McLaren driver, except for 4% the cost.  Meanwhile, the McLaren
driver shoots herself, liberating millions of dollars back into the economy.
Almost everyone wins in that scenario.

>.Freedom is what creates the good life.

Agreed.  What I suggest not only does not reduce freedom, it increases it.

>. Freedom from others restricting your actions is one component.

Good point.  On the other hand, it might not do that at all.  If low-end
cars were slower, perhaps most people would think of alternatives to using
them.  This would make the roads less crowded.  Perhaps the McLaren driver
could weave in and out of the sparse remaining traffic.  It would be better
that she weave thru a few cars going 100 kph than a lot of them all going
120.

>.freedom to take positive action is another. The first political, the
second is technological. If we have less energy, our freedom to do what we
want is severely impinged.  Tara Maya

Tara you and I agree on all this.  My notion is that it isn't politics at
work here, but rather birth rates and uncontrolled immigration.  The current
US government and its attitudes are on their way out (this isn't hard to
see); their successors will put in pipelines and drill baby drill, etc.  But
those are short term.  Sooner or later, that game all comes to an end, since
those billion new proles are coming, absolutely regardless of what we think
of the matter.  They are coming anyway, and they want to drive.  So.

My notion is we need to make room for series hybrid cars, which are pokey
and dangerous (they tend to get hit from behind by frustrated McLaren
drivers.)  But they are very efficient.

We can still have a good life, while using way less energy, way less.