[ExI] Em Software Engineering Bleg

Robin D Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Fri Oct 10 03:47:31 UTC 2014

On Oct 9, 2014, at 10:51 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com<mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com>> wrote:
> In it I ask those with software engineering expertise to help me guess how software engineering would change in a world dominated by ems (= brain emulations).

I think there is a wildcard in trying to answer this question, because if the recent announcement of the discovery of Majorana particles turns out to be true then we could build a Topological Quantum Computer, it would work as well as a regular Quantum Computer but would be far easier to make because it's far less susceptible to decoherence. And those machines would be so fundamentally different from anything built before I couldn't even guess what the future of software engineering will be like.

That might happen. But surely the odds are low, so it is still worth thinking about the scenario where that doesn't happen.

Robin Hanson  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Res. Assoc., Future of Humanity Inst., Oxford Univ.
Assoc. Professor, George Mason University
Chief Scientist, Consensus Point
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323