[ExI] Philosophy and philosophers

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sun Oct 12 03:25:22 UTC 2014

A bit of history that some might find useful for this discussion. During
most of the 1990s I ran a book discussion group which had as its
participants many persons who identified as Extropian.  Our January 1992
discussion was about the book The Retreat to Commitment by W.W. Bartley.
  I do not remember which group member recommended the book but I do
recall that the idea of Pan-Critical Rationalism as covered in the book
had a significant and rapid impact on an ever expanding circle of people.

At Extro1 (the first Extropian Institute Conference) May 1994 Max More
gave a presentation on PanCritical Rationalism.  See:
http://www.maxmore.com/pcr.htm

For those not familiar with Bartley in addition to his book Retreat to
Commitment Bartley was also chosen to be the editor for collected works
of Hayek.  Unfortunately Bartley died after only a few volumes.  Some
claim to see Bartley's hand waying very heavily in  Hayek's last book
The Fatal Conceit; but that is a discussion of another time.

For those interested in the list of books read by the Bay Area Reading
amd Discussion Group please see:
http://www.moulton.com/bardg/

Fred
--