[ExI] Philosophy and philosophers

Dan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 06:12:50 UTC 2014

> On Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:25 PM, F. C. Moulton <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:
>
> A bit of history that some might find useful for this discussion.
> During most of the 1990s I ran a book discussion group which
> had as its participants many persons who identified as Extropian.
> Our January 1992 discussion was about the book The Retreat to
> Commitment by W.W. Bartley.
> I do not remember which group member recommended the book but
> I do recall that the idea of Pan-Critical Rationalism as
> covered in the book had a significant and rapid impact on an
> ever expanding circle of people.
>
> At Extro1 (the first Extropian Institute Conference) May 1994
> Max More gave a presentation on PanCritical Rationalism.
> See:http://www.maxmore.com/pcr.htm
>
> For those not familiar with Bartley in addition to his book
> Retreat to Commitment Bartley was also chosen to be the editor
> for collected works of Hayek.  Unfortunately Bartley died
> after only a few volumes.  Some claim to see Bartley's hand
> waying very heavily in  Hayek's last book
> The Fatal Conceit; but that is a discussion of another time.
>
> For those interested in the list of books read by the Bay Area Reading
> amd Discussion Group please see:
> http://www.moulton.com/bardg/

Thanks, Fred.

There were also other later discussions of the same. I wrote a brief critique of pancritical rationalism, which I'll try to find. It caused a bit of discussion back in 2002. E.g., see

http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/irc/extropians/extracted-extropians-archive/archive/0208/110407.html

and the exchanges after. I'm not just bringing this up to earn some cred here. I think the discussion back then is relevant to the one we're having here now.

Regards,

Dan