[ExI] nick's book being sold by fox news

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Oct 28 09:31:39 UTC 2014

Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> , 28/10/2014 7:36 AM:

As I said in my review of Nick's book, that depends on what is "our
species." If it includes our future intelligent and super-intelligent
mind children, then there is no danger of extermination by
superintelligence:
http://hplusmagazine.com/2014/08/28/book-review-bostroms-superintelligence/
But this presupposes that it must be a continuation of us or at least something valuable, not a paperclipper or a mindless world of superintelligent but non-conscious corporations. You write that you have a hard time imagining something smart without a sense of self, yet we know AIXI - remember, it is as smart as or smarter than any other system - would assign zero probability to itself existing even if it existed!
I like the idea of mind children continuing our civilization. But that is very different from being concerned about risk: just because a power plant might produce energy to cheap to meter doesn't mean it is a waste of time doing a risk analysis.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University