[ExI] Immeasurable hubris

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 10:08:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>  Or even better, move the galaxies closer together!
>  but getting into the core of Laniakea should be fairly easy.

### I absolutely love the immeasurable hubris of this thought! Where our
esteemed predecessors in futurism may have dreamed of sending a starship or
two to boldly explore the heavens, you say we will reach out to the stars
and make them do our bidding! *We* will compose the harmony of the spheres!

It is said that mankind shall "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the
earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky
and over every living creature that moves on the ground." But now we have
dreams of supra-Biblical proportions: Clone our minds in billions of
substrates, fill the heavens and subdue the galaxies, perhaps even rule
over assorted aliens (or at least peacefully coexist with the nice ones).

And you say it will be easy :)

Onward, soldiers of science! Do not dawdle - It's a big universe out there,
and the galaxies themselves, trembling at our steely resolve, are running
away! Go get them!

Rafal