[ExI] Immeasurable hubris

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Sep 4 20:09:09 UTC 2014

Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> , 4/9/2014 12:15 PM:

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>  Or even better, move the galaxies closer together!
>  but getting into the core of Laniakea should be fairly easy.

### I absolutely love the immeasurable hubris of this thought! Where our esteemed predecessors in futurism may have dreamed of sending a starship or two to boldly explore the heavens, you say we will reach out to the stars and make them do our bidding! *We* will compose the harmony of the spheres!

Yup. You would have loved my lunch talk at the institute today where I laid out some of the math - and got interrupted by engineering improvements from the audience.

And you say it will be easy :)
Actually, next week my colleague Stuart will actually present a joint paper called "It's Easy to colonise the Universe".
(Of course, around the office we do joke about that "in a while" right now seems to mean "in a trillion years" and "nearby" means "within a few megaparsec".)
My own long-term survival paper will be posted when it is presentable; still have to work out some astrophysics and logic. It is titled "That is not dead which can eternal lie" and gives a scientific basis for believing in something like Lovecraft's Great Old Ones. They are waiting for the background radiation to be right.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University