[ExI] Lessons from Tesla?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 21:28:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Dan <danust2012 at gmail.com> , 24/9/2014 10:00 PM:
>
> Now, that said, I don't know that there's a foolproof formula to decide
> what ideas or inspirations lead to success or that anyone can know the
> costs ahead of time of following or not following a certain lead. What do
> the rest of you think? Does the Tesla icon provide enough positive benefits
> to outweigh what I believe are its misleading aspects?
>

> I am pretty tired of Tesla hype. Yes, he was awesome and quirky, but the
> one main reason he failed seems to have been lack of business sense.

The Wright brothers also lacked business sense. Airplanes came of age
quicker than patent law and courts would have allowed only because of the
onset of WWI and laws that made their patents "national interest". It is
one of a very small collection of examples where I grant that the
government did the right thing in pushing technology forward.

It is common among inventors to be poor at business. It may be my own
failure as well. We shall see.

-Kelly