[ExI] Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:21:35 UTC 2015

 What will happen when the technology has evolved to the point that people
actually prefer virtual experiences to real ones?  (from singularity hub)

I argue that it's already so, in a way.  Substitute 'fantasy' for 'virtual
reality'.

Just think of the news:  political - probably won't affect us except for
small changes in taxes, yet people devote hours a days to reading about
Trump etc.;  sports - ditto (including the taxes, for those whose cities
build stadia for teams for bragging purposes); entertainment - celebrities,
movies, books, porn and other internet, surfing and so on.

I am currently spending my time with my nose in books (scifi, The China
Study), which is mostly fiction, except for The China Study, which is
changing my diet.  People already prefer TV, movies, internet, People
magazine, to reality, however defined.  Oh, I look at my 80 rose bushes
often and harvest my tomatoes, etc. but most of my time is spent in books.
Predictable since I am an extreme introvert.  My nonfiction reading
probably has little effect on my daily life.  But even the extroverts
prefer to talk with each other about gossip and movies and so on, and the
fiction they make up about their lives.

Reality?  Boring - same old same old - when it isn't truly frightening and
gruesome.  Give me a good scifi book and let me go to alternate universes.

Bill W