[ExI] Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 07:10:18 UTC 2015

I think it's very plausible that people in advanced alien
civilizations live as disembodied software and interact in VR scapes,
like in Greg Egan's Diaspora. But that doesn't mean that they lose
interest in the physical universe and space exploration. It just means
that their footprint on the universe is usually small and therefore
they are more difficult to detect. Their long-range communications
might be based on physics that we don't understand yet.

An alien nanoprobe crewed by thousands of upload just landed on the
tip of my nose, too bad I didn't see it.