[ExI] [Bulk] Re: Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Aug 27 04:15:38 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike

>…But I just can’t quite grasp the notion we are those people…we of the astonishing good fortune, the ones who have access to these modern information streams, these life forms reading this paragraph, this sentence, this phrase, this this.

### Pure science magic and poetry, this!

Rafał

Thanks Rafal.  Coming from you, the comment means a lot to me.  Reason: you seem to be one of those people who can get his head around the mind-boggling concept that we really are alone, but I confess, it just eludes me.

All throughout history, smart people have held the vague notion that now they pretty much understand what is going on: they read it in their holy books, or their level of science could explain most everything.

But to the contrary, I am filled with cognitive dissonance, now more than ever.  My cog-dis isn’t going away, it is getting worse over time.  I know that my current understanding of the universe, of evolution, of reality utterly fails to explain why there aren’t signals out there from other advanced civilizations.  My understanding fails to explain why the double slit experiment works the way it does.  If fails to explain why space and time are quantized.  Of all these, the failure to find cosmic signals bothers me the most: the others should be out there, and they should be detectable.  Otherwise I and we are still missing something fundamental.