[ExI] Old Nutrition Studies

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Thu Aug 27 05:22:24 UTC 2015

El 2015-08-26 a las 17:50, William Flynn Wallace escribió:

> ​I'll answer that:  P.W. Piri-Tarino, etc.  "Meta analysis of
> Prospective Cohort studies​
> ​Evaluating the Association of Saturated Fat with Cardiovascular
> Disease."  American Journal of clinical Nutrition 91, no.3 March 2010
> 535-46  340,000 Ss, 21 studies

Take a look at the Medline entry for that study, and look at the
comments, as well as -- if you have time; there are 21 -- the reviews
among the 70 citing papers:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

I wouldn't base my dietary choices on the conclusions reached. I'm not
saying dietary SFA is evil; rather: we don't know. If I had to guess I'd
say one would be better off with complex carbs and lots of MUFA and some
PUFA. (It's also likely that SFA is a problem only above a certain chain
length.) Can't wait until we have richer computer models of human
physiology and can do virtual trials!

James, how amazingly fortunate you are to have gotten a whole genome
scan! And thank you for participating in the PGP. Your participation
benefits us all. (I'm still trying to decide which health data
tracking/storage system is best so that I can upload my health data.)

I'm also testing blood glucose regularly. I'm less convinced we know how
to interpret blood lipids, so I'm holding off on doing that frequently,
but th science is pretty solid on the merits of keeping glucose down --
both avg. levels and spikes, possibly even very brief spikes (although
CR rodents in the normal model of CR, where, for budgetary reasons, the
animals are fed once a day, have huge, though fairly brief glucose
spikes, but still live extremely long lives).

Brian