[ExI] [Bulk] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 01:48:49 UTC 2015

​John Clark wrote:  I am not referring to the party ​of Hillary (I believe
in evolution) Clinton.
-------
I suggest that the word 'belief' is very wrongly applied to science.  What
is wrong with saying "Darwin's theory and the modifications that succeeded
it are the best ways by far of accounting for the evidence we have."  This
is different from a belief in evolution.

Belief is an act of faith.  Faith in things and processes unseen,
unobservable by any means, other than interpretation of events that could
be more easily explained otherwise, has no place in science - I think we
can all agree on that

So statements about science and about faith, including religious faith,
have very little in common.

Put another way, the epistemology of science and of religion are totally
different.  Empiricism has no place in religion and authoritarianism has no
place in science (or shouldn't have!).

Bill W