[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 11 17:51:09 UTC 2015

Never tried psychedelics, although I did spend much of the late 80s
looking deep into fractals :-) They are on my to-do list.

Being the typical dry researcher I have mostly read about their effects,
especially where they adjoin my cognitive enhancement interests
("Anders, you are studying the *boring* enhancers!" as a noted
psychedelic expert told me). My impressions are:

* Seems to promote creativity by jostling the normal thought processes
and creating wide integration for a while. This is a good thing in some
people and some settings, and useless for others. There are plenty of
examples of people actually having useful and valid insights, but we
never hear anything about the other cases.

* Mystical experiences are more common than one may think, and happens
without drugs (or training) too. Most are not life altering (which is
one of the saddest statements about the human condition ever: you
suddenly *know* how the universe works, meet the Divine and have your
ego oblitterated - and next morning you go back to your job, slightly
happier). Some are, and those are the ones you hear about.

* Recent studies on psilocybin and other psychedelics are very promising
against depression. Also, it seems psilocybin causes a lasting increase
in the openness big-5 personality trait. This is not necessarily a good
thing: being too open can be impairing.

* Overall, the whole area is understudied for stupid reasons. I expect
there to be many low-hanging fruits research-wise. But self-reports from
self-selected people are unreliable.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute