[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Michael Butler butler.two.one at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:50:33 UTC 2015

On Dec 10, 2015 11:31 PM, "Adrian Tymes" <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Try them.  You're missing out on a portion of reality that is a
SIGNIFICANTLY large amount of information I guarantee you won't get
otherwise.  Ask people here who have tripped. It's a qualitative experience
that is very difficult to describe.

> I've never used them, but I've tripped on life itself at times.
>
> The problem is, insights gained under such a state often .... External
measurements show that no such insights were captured

Measure how?
> ("But wait", your self-rationalization goes, "I must have just not
written/painted/spoke well enough, because I know it was profound even if
these videos of me show nothing but banal.  I just need to try again!  And
if that fails, again and again!"  No.  It wasn't profound.  It was an
illusion.)

According to who? If I get a simple insight like "tastes are arbitrary",
which sounds banal if you are listening for banal... but it hits me in the
amygdala-cortical circuits hard enough... I just might come out less
judgmental than I used to be. For real, not in some cortex-only way.

How was that kind of outcome measured?

Also, zetetically: what would it take for you to change your mind?

(Yes, that's a double meaning there ;) )