[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 11 21:28:18 UTC 2015

>… On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com <mailto:foozler83 at gmail.com> > wrote:

​> ​I would vehemently deny that any insights gained under the influence of any drug is not obtainable while straight.

​>…I would say that unless you can convince someone not under drugs that the insight you gained while under drugs has value it isn't really a insight. … John K Clark

I propose an experiment that is safe, perfectly legal and doesn’t even cost anything.  Get your favorite music track, not rap but something with a melody you know by heart (old time crooners work fine for this and even Christmas music.)  Play it thru your headphones or earbuds, turned up loud, and sing along with it.  Record yourself with your phone or video camera.  Oh you sound good, ja?  Mister Rock Star you are.

Now play it back.  Oy vey, not so crooney shmooney now, ja?  You didn’t listen to your silly self more than once?  Not even more than a few uncomfortable seconds?

Repeat the experiment with only one earbud, turned way down low but audible.  Better?

That whole notion of psychedelics offering new insights, I would need a lot of evidence for that.  I would believe it makes a prole believe she is having new and wonderful insights, but if carefully recorded at the time, I suspect the result would be as cringe-worthy as the headphone experiment.

If one took a tenth the normal dose and could demonstrate some positive effect, I suppose that would be analogous to singing a song with one earbud turned low.  Some singers do that (the earbud I meant (well ok, some do the dope too, but I meant during the recording session the one earbud.))

Of course I am no expert on these matters, just sayin’.