[ExI] Augmentations to Science

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:52:49 UTC 2015

will wrote:  Was asking WFW how he thinks insight operates.  Same question
to everyone, though: to propose the most parsimonious logical model of
insight possible, or, if not logical, what a substitute for that logic
might be.

For me science has to start with some definition of terms. My 'model' bad
term is 'instinct', which is defined dozens of ways and so has little
meaning for me. So ask me what instinct is and I ask you what definition do
you want?

So do the same for insight.

For something very off the cuff, I'd say that insight, if it proves to be
true in some sense, is seeing a pattern that you, and maybe no one else,
has seen.  Of course we see many patterns that turn out to be false, like,
in the extreme, paranoid delusions.

As to where it comes from, it comes from the unconscious, like everything
else.  So what we need to do is to discover the operations of the
unconscious, which might prove to be something not totally dissimilar from
what Freud said about it.

All this focus on consciousness is misplaced.  It is just a tool of the
unconscious.  I won't be alive then, but would be extremely interested in
what Freud wrote about the scientific nature of the unconscious, which will
be revealed when 100 years have passed since his death (2038 or close to
that), according to his will (unless someone has stolen a look at it and I
don't know about it).

Without googling it, I think it's called Project for a Scientific
Psychology.

bill w