[ExI] Fwd: Paper on "Detecting Qualia" presentation at 2015 MTA conference

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 22:06:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Glutamate has a particular function in the brain, which is to be released
> into the synaptic cleft when an appropriate signal arrives down the axon and
> attach to glutamate receptors, causing a change in their conformation and
> thereby triggering a series of events in the postsynaptic neuron. You could
> imagine replacing all the glutamate in the brain with nanodemons that lie in
> wait at the synapse and on the appropriate signal jump out, grab the
> glutamate receptors with their little arms, and squeeze them into the same
> shape glutamate would. Assume that glutamate is implicated in experiencing
> redness. These demons are clearly very different from glutamate, but the
> subject who has his glutamate replaced with the demons will say, when you
> ask him, that he still sees red, and will be able to correctly identify red.
> Do you see that this must be so? Do you believe that the subject really does
> see red, the same as before the replacement? How do you explain this, if all
> the glutamate has gone?

If you play middle-C on a piano and you have perfect pitch you say
"ah.. middle C"
If you play middle-C through a speaker and you have perfect pitch you
say "ah.. middle C"

Does it matter what produces the 261.625565 hertz air vibrations?

Replace the detector (audio) with an oscilloscope (sight) ...

You see the screen and say "ah.. middle C"

I'm not really sure what is ineffable anymore.  "Audible middle C" vs
"Visible middle C" ?

is the "ineffable" part just the bit of distinguishing details below
the threshold of relevance?

Pi is 3.14;  no it isn't: Pi is 3.14159; no it isn't: Pi is the ratio
of circumference to diameter of a circle; ...

Are these three descriptions of Pi somehow 'zombie information'
regarding the True Pi Quale?

How much double-plus adjective does it take to ever resolve the
defined-as-ineffable?  1/0 ?

idk.  :(