[ExI] Zombie glutamate

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 15:21:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> there is a proof that IF a being is conscious

But you can't prove that any being is conscious.

> > THEN it is necessarily conscious.

Since you can't prove what causes consciousness you can't prove that moving
the mind to a different substrate, like from biology to electronics, won't
effect or destroy the consciousness. However having said that I must say
that absolute proof is very rarely available for real world problems, there
is nearly always some uncertainty but that doesn't prevent us from acting.
And I think the evidence for the intelligence-consciousness link is so
strong (although falling short of a proof) that I wouldn't worry a bit
about being uploaded into a computer.

  John K Clark