[ExI] Zombie glutamate

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 23:47:22 UTC 2015

On Saturday, February 21, 2015, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','stathisp at gmail.com');>> wrote:
>

> >> OK, but you have no way of proving what that "something" is, and this
>>> isn't
>>> it
>>> requires
>>

>> >You don't need to know what it is. If it is something in the brain,
>> then you systematically replace every part of the brain and eventually
>> you will get to it.
>>

> You will get to consciousness eventually for certain if every replacement
> part gives the same output for every given input that you can measure in
> your lab AND if every theoretical logically possible input and output that
> no lab could ever measure is also identical; so the only way you can be
> sure you've covered all your bases, even the ridiculously unlikely ones, is
> if the replacement is not just functionally identical but identical in
> every way. But if all the replacement parts are identical in every way then
> you haven't really done anything, you haven't really replaced anything, you
> had a biological brain before and you have a identical biological brain
> after you've done all your "replacing". You've proven nothing except that
> X=X.
>
>  John K Clark

If the replacement part perfectly copies the observable I/O behaviour of
the original part, then consciousness will necessarily also be copied. That
it would be technically difficult to do, or even physically impossible,
does not weaken the argument: consciousness is a necessary side-effect of
behaviour, and not something without causal efficacy of its own that can be
tacked on optionally.

--
Stathis Papaioannou