[ExI] Zombie glutamate

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 18:06:07 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015  Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com> wrote:

> There is something that is responsible for a redness quality.  And there
> is something detectably different, responsible for greenness.

I've already suggested what that difference might be, redness is associated
with one group of crosslinked memories (strawberries, blood, sunsets,
communists, conservative states) while greenness is associated with a
different group of crosslinked memories (leaves, emeralds, seasickness,
environmentalists).

> > surely you must agree that there is something, physical, that is
> responsible for an elemental redness quality, right?

I'd bet my life it's physical but I don't have a proof and never will.

> > And why would you think we can't discover what this neural correlate is?

You could get to the point where you discover that whenever a certain
pattern of neurons fire the person always makes a noise with his mouth that
sounds like "I perceive redness", and that would satisfy me. When we get to
that point I'd say we're done with this and it's time to move on and start
to investigate something else, but apparently you would not and feel there
would be more to do. The difference between us is I think consciousness is
fundamental but you do not.

 John K Clark