[ExI] Driverless cars for law enforcement

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:25:39 UTC 2015

Reply to all -  Yes, I am a libertarian in the John Stuart Mill sense - my
right to swing my fist stops where your nose starts.  If it takes a
government to stop that, then fine.  I have no right to endanger others.
Yes, speeding is not always dangerous - I should know.  But what about the
effect on other people if I crash and hurt or kill myself?  No man is an
island.

We all have to obey laws that mostly restrict irresponsible other people)
poorer reflexes, lower IQ and a lot more) and that is the price we have to
pay.  What do you think is fair?  That better drivers have different speed
limits?  (I don't know what QALY is)

Living life in a bubble?  No one does.  If you go out in the desert and
kill yourself in some crazy accident you affect other people economically,
emotionally and more.

Restricting others' 'rights' to drive drunk, or without seat belts, or with
Alzheimer's or with a stereo at 120dB, etc. is not contrary to
libertarianism.  If these people affected only themselves, then fine, off
yourself any way you want.  But when society has to clean up your mess
(support for your wife children, towing your wreck, etc.) then it's not a
question of individual rights, is it?  You have no more right to hit my
pocketbook and the taxes I pay than my nose.

There are not many things that we do that do not affect others, and we have
the responsibility to consider that.

Calling it a nanny state is specious logic.

bill w