[ExI] Transhumanist/sf themed tabletop games

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 18:54:25 UTC 2015

On Feb 27, 2015 9:11 AM, "Anders Sandberg" <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> , 27/2/2015 6:24 AM:
>> I have a friend who raves about Eclipse Phase, but I've read through it
and a lot of its concepts seem almost unplayable, as a consequence of its
setting.

> Rave, rave, rave! Me and my groups found it totally playable. Yes, you
need to gloss over things to some extent to keep it playable, but we had a
lot of interesting adventures in the setting.
> http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
> I have earlier mentioned the essay on law and order on the Extropia
habitat on this list, for some reason.

Glossing over some parts would do it.  Any mechanics can be Rule Zeroed.  ;)

Mind if I put said friend in touch with you?  I think he might have
mentioned that site before, as a useful resource.

> which makes it extra suspicious that humanity has failed at building an
AI smarter than IQ 60 for so long...

That's similar to a twist my players are discovering - except it's an alien
civilization that got stuck (to degrees that they got religious about it),
so they kickstarted another alien civ to see if they could solve it, then
fast-forwarded their entire civilization using near-c travel to skip
through the eons this second civ needed to become starfaring.  Just as they
were ending it, humanity and its allies came along and messed things up in
glorious fashion.  (And then the PCs mess things up further personally,
which resonates with said religion.  Thus, "What do you do when someone
tells you that you are a god, and uses your actions as evidence?")