[ExI] internet security

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 13:25:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com>
wrote:

> Email is cleartext and can be read by anyone.

Email in transit between servers can be read by anyone with low-level
access to the network between them. That makes it *possible* to read some
email, but targeting a particular user's email is non-trivial. If everyone
in the group is using, e.g., GMail, this isn't an issue.

Most ISPs and big services (google, yahoo, etc.) scan your email for
> keywords and sell advertising based on keywords.  So indexes, summaries,
> and
> keywords from your emails are distributed to companies and governments who
> request these.

Google, at least, doesn't give away your emails or email address. They look
for keywords and display the ads themselves.

> So I would say that Email is probably the least secure protocol possible
> for
> this purpose, and the most likely to copy and distribute clear-text
> versions
> of your data around the world.

Unless messages are encrypted with something like PGP or the entire group
is on one server.

> And most of the other services that claim to be secure aren't.  They just
> play off the hype to get customers who want to be secure, but most of them
> don't have enough technical knowledge of spying or surveillance to actually
> stop it, even if they do have some heightened security.

And, again, the hard nut to crack with security is the end users. The
technology may be awesome, but if the users don't use it correctly, it's
easily defeated: bad passwords, shared passwords, public open wireless
networks, naive users, unpatched systems, unlocked screens, etc., can all
undo the best security.

-Dave