[ExI] vultures sneeze

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 08:41:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 8:58 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> If you toss the fry approximately in the right area, the gulls can snatch
> them out of the air.  When you think about it, that in itself is one hell
> of a trick.
>

> spike

My all time favorite animal observation was watching an orca at Sea World
in San Diego. At the end of the show, it kept the last fish that was given
to it by the trainers without swallowing it. It apparently knew the show
well enough to figure out which fish not to swallow. Then, it spit the fish
out of its mouth onto the surface of the water and sunk underneath the
water a few feet. A sea gull then swooped in to grab the fish, and instead
of getting a meal, the gull became a meal to the orca. SNAP! I found it
absolutely fascinating how "Gullable" the bird was, and how smart the orca
was in comparison. I can't recall if the orca finished after one extra
gull, or whether it continued it's "fishing" expedition, as it has been a
while since I observed this.

-Kelly