[ExI] VR content

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sat Jan 24 18:07:46 UTC 2015

nicoalcala at gmail.com wrote:
> If you want to send this very same email to the list in 10 years but with
> the oppossite message, saying: "I made it, I saw the opportunity and seized
> it at it's early stages" I would recommend that you invest in Virtual
> Reality. Any part of it, really. It's gonna transform the world in an
> unprecedent way and my guess is that it's gonna be even bigger than the
> internet.
>
> I'm starting a company to produce content for Oculus Rift, Magic Leap,
> Hololens and whatever is to come. I would love some feedback from you guys
> and, of course, an interesting debate about what will happen when the
> virtual world is better than the real world should arise in due time in
> this list.

I'm working at Google's Niantic Labs on Ingress, a massively-multiplayer
augmented reality game played in the real world. I call it a "get off
your couch" game, 'cause you can't play it without wandering around in
the real world. Niantic is working on other titles, and is developing a
platform for real-world augmented reality titles.

Anyway, my recommendation for a low-cost platform for trying out your VR
chops is Google's cardboard. It's open source hardware, with a cost of
less than a dollar, and runs on standard-issue smart phones. Once you
have built a couple of low-end titles for this platform, you'll
understand the medium enough to make it worth while spending more time
and money developing for more sophisticated platforms.

I'm starting to study bitcoin. I haven't worked on prediction markets in
a couple of years, but all the variant bitcoin tools are making this
look like the place to develop new prediction markets. I have some
catching up to do in this space.

Chris
--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
http://mydruthers.com