[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civs

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:58:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:48 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> So far as we can see, ETs are not eating stars. So, as you say, either
> they don't exist, or are so incredibly rare that they are not in our
> area of the universe. That seems to indicate that intelligent life
> does not survive for long.

### There is insufficient data on that. Knowing a census but in the absence
of knowledge about the rate of formation of life, you cannot estimate the
rate of intelligent life disappearance.
-------------

> My attitude is called Hope.

### You should not let emotional considerations influence your estimates of
probabilities.

 --------------

> The alternative is that intelligent life
> does survive, but it doesn't do what we (at our present stage of
> development) would expect. My suggestion of ETs hiding in deep space,
> in a virtual reality civilisation suited to their high speed thinking
> is only a hopeful survival path for ETs that fits the lack of evidence
> for their existence that we have.

### Indeed, if for some reason you assume lots of ETs are born, then given
visible evidence, they die soon or stay alive invisible, and I would agree
that staying invisible may be more aspirational than dying.

But why assume that lots of ETs are born?  There is so far no strong
evidence to that effect.

Rafal