[ExI] supplements

James Clement clementlawyer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 01:04:29 UTC 2015

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're going to recommend things that can easily have quantifiable
> evidence if they work (such as drugs), please show said quantifiable
> evidence.

Sorry, most people I know just look things up on PubMed for themselves.
There are numerous studies on both referenced nutraceuticals there:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=green+coffee+bean+extract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=berberine

*Green Coffee Bean Extracts:* contain chlorogenic acids (CGAs). If you
subscribe to www.consumerlabs.com (which I do) you can see the independent
laboratory results of their tests on the amount of CGAs in various brands.

Contribution of chlorogenic acids to the inhibition of human hepatic
glucose-6-phosphatase activity in vitro by Svetol, a standardized
decaffeinated green coffee extract.
Henry-Vitrac C
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Henry-Vitrac%20C%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=20302380>
1, Ibarra A
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Ibarra%20A%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=20302380>
, Roller M
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Roller%20M%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=20302380>
, Mérillon JM
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=M%C3%A9rillon%20JM%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=20302380>
, Vitrac X
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Vitrac%20X%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=20302380>
.
Author information <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20302380#>
Abstract

Glucose-6-phosphatase (Glc-6-Pase) is a multicomponent system that exists
primarily in the liver and catalyzes the terminal step in gluconeogenesis
and glycogenolysis. Several studies have attempted to identify synthetic or
natural compounds that inhibit this enzyme complex for therapeutic use in
regulating blood glucose and type 2 diabetes. For this paper an in vitro
structure-activity relationship study of several natural chlorogenic acids
was conducted, and the active components of the natural decaffeinated green
coffee extract Svetol were identified. Glucose-6-phosphate (Glc-6-P)
hydrolysis was measured in the presence of Svetol or chlorogenic acids in
intact human liver microsomes. Svetol significantly inhibited Glc-6-P
hydrolysis in intact human liver microsomes in a competitive manner, and it
was determined that chlorogenic acids (caffeoylquinic acids and
dicaffeoylquinic acids) were the chief compounds mediating this activity.
In addition, the structure-activity analysis showed that variation in the
position of the caffeoyl residue is an important determinant of inhibition
of Glc-6-P hydrolysis. This inhibition by Svetol contributes to its
antidiabetic, glucose-lowering effects by reducing hepatic glucose
production.

 *Berberine:*

Application of berberine on treating type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Pang B
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Pang%20B%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25861268>
1, Zhao LH
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Zhao%20LH%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25861268>
2, Zhou Q
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Zhou%20Q%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25861268>
3, Zhao TY
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Zhao%20TY%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25861268>
1, Wang H
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wang%20H%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25861268>
1, Gu CJ
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Gu%20CJ%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25861268>
1, Tong XL
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Tong%20XL%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25861268>
1.
Author information <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25861268#>
Abstract

Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) performs a good clinical practice and is
showing a bright future in the treatment of diabetes mellitus (DM). TCM
treatment has certain advantages of less toxicity and/or side effects, and
herbs could provide multiple therapeutic effects. Berberine (BBR) is a
classical natural medicine. In this review, we summarize the application of
BBR in the treatment of DM from two aspects. First, modern pharmacological
effects of BBR on glucose metabolism are summarized, such as improving
insulin resistance, promoting insulin secretion, inhibiting gluconeogenesis
in liver, stimulating glycolysis in peripheral tissue cells, modulating gut
microbiota, reducing intestinal absorption of glucose, and regulating lipid
metabolism. BBR is used to treat diabetic nephropathy (DPN), diabetic
neuropathy (DN), and diabetic cardiomyopathy due to its antioxidant and
anti-inflammatory activities. Second, the clinical application of BBR is
reviewed, such as listing some clinical trials on the effectiveness and
safety of BBR, explaining applicable stage and syndrome, the reasonable
dose and dose formulation, and the toxicity and/or side effects. This
review provides scientific evidence about BBR, as well as introducing some
traditional Chinese medical theory and clinical experience, in order to
guide clinician to use BBR more suitably and reasonably.

Effects of berberine on amelioration of hyperglycemia and oxidative stress
in high glucose and high fat diet-induced diabetic hamsters in vivo.
Liu C
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Liu%20C%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
1, Wang Z
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wang%20Z%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
2, Song Y
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Song%20Y%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
3, Wu D
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wu%20D%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
1, Zheng X
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Zheng%20X%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
1, Li P
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Li%20P%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
1, Jin J
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Jin%20J%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
2, Xu N
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Xu%20N%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
2, Li L
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Li%20L%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25705654>
1.
Author information <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25705654#>
Abstract

This study investigated the effects of berberine on amelioration of
hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia and the mechanism involved in high glucose
and high fat diet-induced diabetic hamsters. Golden hamsters fed with high
glucose and high fat diet were medicated with metformin, simvastatin, and
low or high dose of berberine (50 and 100 mg·kg(-1)) for 6 weeks. The
results showed that the body weights were significantly lower in
berberine-treated
groups than control group. Histological analyses revealed that the
treatment of berberine inhibited hepatic fat accumulation. Berberine
significantly
reduced plasma total cholesterol, triglyceride, free fatty acid, low
density lipoprotein cholesterol, malondialdehyde, thiobarbituric
acid-reactive substance, and 8-isoprostane level but significantly
increased plasma superoxide dismutase activity. Glucose and insulin levels
were significantly reduced in metformin and berberine-treated groups.
Glucose tolerance tests documented that berberine-treated mice were more
glucose tolerant. Berberine treatment increased expression of skeletal
muscle glucose transporter 4 mRNA and significantly decreased liver low
density lipoprotein receptor mRNA expression. The study suggested that
berberine was effective in lowering blood glucose and lipids levels,
reducing the body weight, and alleviating the oxidative stress in diabetic
hamsters, which might be beneficial in reducing the cardiovascular risk
factors in diabetes.

I've been looking at various ways to get my pre-breakfast blood sugar
levels between 70 and 85 mg/dL. Since I generally follow a ketogenic
vegetarian diet, it generally stays in line with these numbers on a regular
basis. However, if I happen to be somewhere that I can't control my diet
(out to dinner or just want some add'l carbs) then either or both of these
take care of the problem very nicely. I measure my blood sugar from one to
ten times daily and have been doing so for over a year.

If anyone wants more info, I suggest they PM me and I'll respond as best I
can.

Cheers,

James