[ExI] Space conferences

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jul 5 17:57:08 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2015 10:24 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Space conferences

Looks like I'll be speaking at the Space 2.0 conference in September: http://www.infocastinc.com/events/space/

>…I don't suppose any of you will be there?  Or NewSpace later this month, or SmallSat in August.

>…Anybody?  Spike, you're still working for Lockheed, yes?  Will they let you go to one of these?

Hi Adrian,

I am not working at LMCO to any extent (I am still call-inable, but the kinds of controls-based technical solutions I have to offer are solved now.)  My travel and lodging cost would be extremely low…  {8^]  … but as far as I know the conference isn’t offering any low-cost sessions, so I didn’t register.

I am cheering wildly for anyone who is working in small sats.  If anyone manages to create a cheaper ride to space, particularly in the small payload, high risk tolerance range, we create entire new markets.  Musk’s latest failure was major doh-facepalm, but on we go.  That one was way cool for control freaks because of the cool controls challenge of landing a rocket on its feet.  Keith’s notion of Skylon is also on the radar screen, so I am cheering for the Brits too.  Haven’t heard anything recently from them.

One thing that has become ever more apparent to me: the big tech need coming in the foreseeable is a massive increase in bandwidth to mobile devices.  Regardless of what happens in space, if we figure out how to use satellites to carry way more signal than we can currently, that tech will fly.  More bandwidth is the growing immediate dire need, looooots more.  We need to figure out how to get constellations of satellites working together to carry more signal everywhere, kind of an advanced version of Iridium, with more satellites and more bandwidth.