[ExI] i'll bee seeing you... was: RE: old software fun

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Jun 2 23:33:41 UTC 2015

Acoustic identification of insects seems to be a hard problem (although entomologists are maybe not the best engineers), and most success has been with laser measurements:
http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/our-modern-plagues/identifying-insects-music-their-wings
https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/entomologists-have-never-been-able-to-identify-flying-insects-automatically-until-now-ee4d93067443
http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1055&context=abe_eng_pubs

But I assume you are not trying to identify unknown insects but count bees, so it might be a far easier *detection* problem.

A quick google found this, which might be inspirational:
http://www.beehacker.com/wp/?page_id=103
http://www.beehacker.com/wp/?page_id=189
http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-265140.html

(I am the quintessential scholar, immediately looking for what others have written rather than thinking for myself)

The American lawn has a curious history, I got "The Lawn: A History of an American Obsession" by Virginia Scott Jenkins - very fun. Replacing it with xericulture and flowering plants is a good idea.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University