[ExI] The End of Meaningful Work

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 19 16:03:47 UTC 2015

Subject: Re: [ExI] The End of Meaningful Work

>...I think it should be called, rather, “The End of MeaningLESS work.” McJobs are not meaningful...Nonetheless, the people are ALWAYS busy...Really, never underestimate the human creativity to come up with new occupations...Tara Maya

Ja!  If we get really good sexbots, people would be busy.  Not just THAT kind of busy, I mean just think of the software tasks that could be done.

Think of the 1930s when cars were new-ish and there were a lot of potential modifications to hop up the motors; allllll that creativity that went into finding ways to make cars go faster.  Consider the pace of technology evolution when every third garage had some yahoo in there messing with the hardware, inventing improvements and such.  It was an example of what happens when there is a direct feedback between creativity and reward: it was really cool to have the fastest ride on the block.  Of course everyone benefitted: it was a massive crowdfunded experiment in internal combustion optimization.  Car companies watched and listened, and made buttloads of money off of those ideas.  Today we all have really good, reliable, efficient fast cars.

Now consider a more recent analogous example.  Plenty of us here were building hotrod personal computers in the 1980s and 1990s.  Lots of very direct positive feedback for the successful.  Companies watched and listened, now we all have really good reliable efficient fast computers.

Sexbots: imagine the potential software improvements where we make mods to teach her (or him (or it)) new tricks in the bedroom.  The testing phase after each experimental software iteration would give an entirely new and more literal meaning to the phrase "OK, fuck this."