[ExI] The End of Meaningful Work

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Tue May 19 19:40:19 UTC 2015

> On May 19, 2015, at 12:01 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> The Western idea of Bali as a primitive island paradise is to ignore
> the nasty side of Bali.

No arguments on that. However, we weren’t discussing whether Utopia is possible—I don’t believe it is—but only whether human beings are capable of fully occupying themselves with activities.

As long as each of us can think of two jobs we’d hire another to do, if we could only afford it, it is simply silly to speak of there being real lack of jobs. Lack of people educated to do the jobs we now need, sure. I’ll be the Agricultural Revolution put a lot of hunters out of work too. But that’s hardly the same thing.

No one has yet invented an (affordable) robot that can keep my kids room clean without me having to break my back picking up toys. Believe me, the robot revolution still has far, far, far, FAR to go in terms of ending menial labor as far as I’m concerned.

Tara Maya
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Amazon  |  Goodreads