[ExI] structural scale dependence, was: RE: IQ and beauty

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:50:57 UTC 2015

On Oct 21, 2015 9:39 AM, "Dan TheBookMan" <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2558 BE, at 8:59 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> It appears our future in space is dependent upon getting launch costs
down because the old LOX/kerosene and LOX/H2 stages will not advance much.
They were fairly mature fifty years ago.

> But inefficiently implemented, no? I still believe convention rockets can
be done much cheaper.

As someone who is leading a commercial effort to do just that, I agree
wholeheartedly.  ;)

(Even if we are doing an "air-breathing first stage": an airplane to get
the rocket from airport to a patch of sky far off the coast, where the
rocket is dropped off and ignites, having already been given initial
horizontal velocity as well as skipping the thickest part of the
atmosphere.  Much safer that way, as well as cheaper.)