[ExI] IQ and beauty

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 04:46:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com> wrote:

> A alternative theory is that it was sexual competition among human males
trying
> to prove the most badass hunters to impress human females that actually
drove
> the elk to extinction.
>
> Elk females had a good reason not to go to extremes in their demands for
larger
> antlers, but humans had no reason to be reasonable. We have plenty of
evidence
> of humans hunting other megafauna to extinction for ridiculous,
short-sighted reasons.

I think the problem for megafauna was being relative easy targets for human
projectile weapons and hunting tactics. It seems like the mega in megafauna
was an adaptation both for heat regulation but also defense against
predators. The entry of humans into the ecosystem upset all that -- because
being big no longer had the same impact.

I'm not sure, though, any predator really wouldn't take more than its fill.
Yes, say, a big cat will probably not continue to hunt until a whole herd
is decimated if it's already taken enough to eat for the duration, but it
will breed until something checks further expansion, no? It's just that big
cats, to stick with this example, usually are not as proficient as humans
here, no? Certainly not with regard to something like the megafauna.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Ust/e/B00J6HPX8M/