[ExI] Exclude Me If You Can: Cultural Effects on the Outcomes of Social Exclusion

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 01:38:21 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Robin D Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2015, at 9:08 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://m.jcc.sagepub.com/content/46/4/579.abstract
>

> Interesting - is it that folks from collective cultures feel so secure in
> being accepted by a home community that they less mind being excluded by
> other communities?

### Yes, this struck me too. Naively I would think that individualists
would be less affected by social exclusion. The extremes, such as ASD
patients, hardly even notice being excluded. On the other hand, in very
collectivist cultures exclusion means a highly increased risk of death.

The study used exclusion manipulation by essay writing and by a rigged
computer game. How much does that reflect true social exclusion, especially
exclusion from life-critical communities? I am moderately skeptical about
the study design.

Rafał