[ExI] Hive Mind: Anyone here read it?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 17:43:46 UTC 2015

On Oct 25, 2558 BE, at 10:12 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 24, 2015 8:57 PM, "Dan TheBookMan" <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.amazon.com/Hive-Mind-Your-Nation%C2%92s-Matters/dp/0804785961
>>
>> I assume that if a hive mind is inevitable then only one person needs to read it for it to become part of the hive.
>>
>> If a hove mind is not inevitable,  then why would I need to read about the hive mind?
>>
>> :)
>>
> In order to help bring it about, or prevent it, or modify the possible conditions under which it might come?  ;)

None of the above. From the description, it appears to be a metaphor or maybe he's saying we already have something like it. It's supposedly about a nation's average IQ being a more important predictor than individual IQ. Put another way: what he seems to conclude -- I haven't read it -- is that it's better to be in a nation whose average intelligence is high as opposed to having intelligence in a nation whose average intelligence is much lower.

This seems to not be much of a surprise. One can be easily imagine a bunch of people with higher average intelligence would have an overall better multiplier for things like cognitive specialization. Imagine Einstein or a Hawking stuck in a society of unimaginative dolts. But I imagine he puts more into than just a set of cute analogies and humorous anecdotes.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Ust/e/B00J6HPX8M/