[ExI] Nicotine, again

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:53:34 UTC 2016

>From http://robbwolf.com/2016/03/31/my-training-at-44/ (emphasis mine):

*2- Nicotine gum. I researched nicotine about 6 years ago when I started
doing speaking gigs for the military (Naval Special Warfare) and what I
found was pretty striking. Nicotine’s main problem appears to be delivery
system. Tobacco is bad, be it smoked or chewed.  Bill, over at Calories
Proper
<http://caloriesproper.com/coffee-and-cigarettes-the-breakfast-of-champions/>
has done a few posts on nicotine and makes the point that were it not for
the potential to alter the reward centers in the brain, nicotine would be
“a vitamin.” Discover magazine
<http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix> had a solid piece
on nicotine that you can check out as well. WebMD
<http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/addicted-to-nicorette> did
apiece on nicotine gum, and after several pages of going back and forth
between the dangers of tobacco and the fact the gum is not tobacco, here is
one of the closing thoughts from a doctor interviewed for the piece:*

*“If the gum were something we knew to be harmful, I’d get upset about its
chronic use, and insist that they get off it,” adds Hughes. “But it doesn’t
seem to be harmful.”*

*I use a 2mg piece of gum every few hours and my focus and productivity are
nothing short of amazing. I have messed with every nootropic imaginable and
for ME they have all paled in comparison to what I get from the nicotine
gum. I know people will not take the time to actually “read” those links so
I’ll tackle a few things here:*

*1- Tobacco is a carcinogen (or more accurately is home to many
carcinogens) but nicotine as a pharmacological agent is not a carcinogen.*

*2- Gum and lozenges CAN be addictive and habit forming. So are coffee and
tea. You need to balance your risk reward matrix with that in mind, but for
me, it’s a pretty clear choice.*

*I’ve noticed the gum has helped my digestion and my productivity is
better. Again, use your best judgement, but this has been a serious game
changer for me so i felt compelled to share it with y’all.*
We discussed tobacco and nicotine here a few years ago, but that centered
around nicotine not being harmful, rather than outright beneficial.

-Dave