[ExI] openness again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 18:01:27 UTC 2016

On 2 April 2016 at 16:12, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:

> >>... Denmark is making a necrogenomic database: DNA from everyone who
> dies...
>
> >...Well, it will be useful if the dead start committing crimes.......
>
> Ja.  Come the zombie apocalypse, we will know who it was who is coming to
> devour our brains.
>
>  >...The scientists want the database for medical research,  but I would
> expect the police to be interested as well. Murders have been solved by
> getting a close DNA match which led to checking relatives and getting a
> conviction...
>
>  Ja.  The guilty have been caught and the innocent set free because of
> DNA analysis.
>
> Do repeat that sentence like a mantra please, several times until
> memorized.
>
>  >...Totalitarian governments would really like every DNA on file as
> everybody is now a suspected criminal. But so far there are still some
> restrictions stopping them...BillK
>
>  Ja.  So what we need to do then is prevent totalitarian governments.
>
>  I am personally acquainted with a relative whose grandparents were in
> the funeral business.  It was a rural area, not much money in it.  It is
> easy enough to imagine them being offered 100 bucks for some unknown entity
> to have 2 minutes to view the deceased and keep it quiet.  Now an unknown
> entity has a DNA sample, the ID of the dearly departed and a good idea how
> she perished.  This kind of information is valuable.  If my own money is at
> stake (it’s my insurance company selling policies for instance) I am an
> inquiring mind.
>
>  Those of us who are old-timers on ExI, especially those who participated
> in the privacy discussions here back in the 90s and 00s, do feel free to
> post in regard to how your views have changed, how they have stayed the
> same, what predictions you made then which have come to pass and which have
> failed.  Our openness advocates are no longer in the neighborhood.  Well, I
> am, but Assange is gone, Burch is gone, Hal Finney and Robert Bradbury are
> gone permanently, so I (and possibly BillW) are the new openness advocates,
> ja?  Others?
>
>  spike
>

> ​Almost anyone on this site probably knows more than I do here, but I
> think Obamacare has some provisions for not rejecting people because of
> pre-existing conditions.  Just add to that a provision that DNA cannot be
> used in determining payment of claims or insurability.  There's just too
> much to learn from having DNA databases - medically.  It's just another
> step up from having fingerprints on file, which everyone who has worked for
> a government has (took mine at a mental hospital).

​So yes, Spike, openness.  And it ought to be a lot easier and cheaper to
get info from our governments, that, indeed, we are paying for.​

​  Bush et al tagged so many things Top Secret just to keep journalists
out.​

> ​How about openness of DNA for couples planning on marriage?  It's not
just about sickle cell anemia anymore.  Would some men reject women who had
a high chance of getting breast cancer?  You bet they would.  bill w​