[ExI] openness again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:22:43 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016  Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

​> ​
> My own view is basically that (1) Brin is right: transparent, accountable
> open societies for the win.

​I presume that wouldn't include the entire world knowing ​my credit card
number.

> ​> ​
> But (2) to really work they need to be tolerant.

Yes, if the NSA knows all there is to know about me then I should know all
there is to know about the NSA, and if they have a surveillance camera
watching me then I should have a equally good surveillance camera watching
them. But for laws that transparency must be reciprocal to be enforced X
would have to prove that Y has a secret he is not telling X,  and
governments are likely to have more resources to conceal things than
individuals have to reveal them. So in the real world Brin's "Transparent
Society" is unlikely to be symmetrical; not a plane of clear glass
​but ​
more like a one way mirror.

> ​>​
> I would have no problem with NSA/GHCQ/FRA/... monitoring everything if
> they were themselves adequately monitored

​Exactly, that's the problem.

  John K Clark​