[ExI] before?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Apr 5 04:27:44 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 8:13 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] before?

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 11:58 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

Julian Assange was rudely shouted down here by privacy advocates and left the list over 20 yrs ago, but now I don’t think he was entirely wrong.  He was right on about many of the things he wrote.

I now see this could be interpreted as a criticism, but this is not the intention.  Thinking back on those discussions that predated Brin’s book, I now recall Julian took a rather extreme position: that we have no legal right to privacy.  He was already talking about setting up a site to collect information on any public figure, especially politicians.  This would limit their power.  Assange discussed here setting up what became WikiLeaks.

OK so now we have these Panama Papers, which have a number of national leaders with secret offshore accounts:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-panama-tax-idUSKCN0X10C2

I think one of the outcomes of the discussion long ago is that increased involuntary transparency would lead to overall increased tolerance of wrongdoing.  It sure looks to me like the US is tolerating an enormous and growing pile of evidence of wrongdoing on the part of one of the leading presidential candidates.