[ExI] before?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:35:27 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2016, at 8:46 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 5, 2016, at 7:33 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> It's not just governments. Companies are at least as bad about disliking
>> individual privacy.
>>
>> And do you know why?  I'll bet it's loss.  The last time I looked,
>> employee theft was number one the chart of company losses.
>>

>> I think it's more about increasing revenue by collecting more information
>> on actual and potential customers. Of course, internally, there's employee
>> theft, but lowering that doesn't really increase revenue, no?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dan
>>

> ​As for finance and economics, I am the least of the least.  But I think
> that if you have more goods to sell that were already paid for and that
> your employees did not steal, you'd make more money, but what do I know?
>

> My point: I'm not say firms are utterly unconcerned about employee theft,
> but I don't think that's the main driver behind collecting information
> about customers, especially information that most people might think
> violates privacy. Let me put this way: if you decide to work for a firm,
> you kind of expect them to not want you to steal from them, right? But if
> you're a customer, you don't normally expect them to collect all sorts of
> data on you, some of which you'd prefer to keep private.
>
> But what do I know?
>
> Dan

​My point was about employees.  Customers like me want as much info as
possible taken from us because then the ads/spam/snail mail offers we get
are at least somewhat relevant to our shopping.  Of course there should be
an Opt Out, or even better, an Opt In so you can choose your level of
privacy, but that's asking too much in today's world.  They are going to
grab it until laws stop them.

What I wish they would stop are these privacy papers we get to sign in
physician's offices and mailings from Visa et al about their privacy
policies.  How many millions of trees would they save?

bill w
​