[ExI] history of privacy laws chart

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 23:12:12 UTC 2016

Adrian - This is apparently starting to happen more often in the past few
years - a tool of trollers for intimidation, among other things.  These
days it even has a name: swatting.  More details at
http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Swatting .  I don't think it's yet hit sitting
members of Congress, but it has hit certain state legislators.
Leaving out the tossing etc., this kind of behavior by police is perfectly
understandable if they have hard data that drugs are being dealt out of the
house, since large amounts of cash may be there along with Uzis etc. to
protect it.  Quite legal.

The problem comes with what they consider 'hard data'.  We read about drug
busts that hit the wrong house, for instance.  Military-type action can be
appropriate.  But it seems that very often it isn't, and the problem with
that is that we only hear about the cases where they goof.  Estimates of
probability based on TV news are extremely skewed, as all of you know.

Not for drug busts, but for most police action, I strongly favor training
police in psychology, in how to defuse a situation without drawing guns or
even acting in a hostile way.

Poor Mississippi, in the news again with early 20th century type political
actions, which are sure to be turned over in short order.  Posturing by
these dickheads just results in paying more to the lawyers.  Hot heads win
every time here.  Try to think kindly of us who live here.  We don't like
it either, just as most Iranians don't like theocracy.

bill w