[ExI] crispr question

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 7 16:29:50 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 3:36 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] crispr question

On 2016-04-07 06:01, spike wrote:

.

As you understand it and extrapolate to a reasonable estimate of your
lifespan, have we any reason to think that if we had an organism's complete
genome, we could synthesize that file into a DNA strand using CRISPR or any
other reasonably foreseeable technology?

>.CRISPR doesn't involve synthesizing strands, just putting in or removing
sequences at particular spots.

>.Current synthesis mainly make short strands that have to be ligated
together into genomes; this is cumbersome and limits it to short genomes.
However, I have heard that there are technologies emerging that look like
they could build entire human-sized genomes.-- .Anders Sandberg

Cool, so this leads into my next comment.  We saw that it was 60 years
between the first marginal chess program to the orders-of-magnitude more
impressive champion AlphaGo.  We know that cheap technology exists in which
a prole can get her DNA file.  If a number of siblings have that DNA file,
they can figure out the genome of their parents, and if several cousins
compare their genomes, they can piece together the genomes of their mutual
grandparents, second cousins their great grandparents and so on.

If we could synthesize a DNA strand by some means using a DNA file, we could
perhaps use it to clone someone who lived a long time ago, given sufficient
numbers of their descendants have their DNA files.

Ja?