[ExI] crispr question

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 7 17:50:08 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
…

​>…To me one of the most interesting things about CRISPR is that we can use it to enable Gene Drive. … You could use this technique to make mosquitoes extinct.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/600689/we-have-the-technology-to-destroy-all-zika-mosquitoes/

 John K Clark

 Ja, or another slight variation on the theme: breed mosquitoes with some kind of DNA variation-driver until we discover a mosquito which does not bite humans.  Then read that genome, synthesize it, insert it into a population of existing indigenous and particularly virile strain of mosquitoes.

The no-people gene linked to the lotsa-larvae gene competes with the indigenous species and spreads both.  We could end up with more mosquitoes than before, but the humans would scarcely notice they were there.

There is serious debate about the environmental impact of complete eradication of mosquitoes.  Perhaps they perform some unknown beneficial function (it better be a really good one to convince me to keep the needlenose bastards.)  This approach keeps everyone happy.

That would be a hell of a breakthrough: breed mosquitoes that don’t bite humans but bite rats.