[ExI] nutrition again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 19:45:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM, William Flynn Wallace <
> foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> ​And just who does the gov. ask?  Experts.  Mostly medical people, I
>> assume, the most conservative profession existing, and the one most
>> punitive of contrarians, no matter how right they are.
>>

> From
> http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/31193-four-decades-of-the-wrong-dietary-advice-has-paved-the-way-for-the-diabetes-epidemic-time-to-change-course
> *     Dr. Robert Olson, professor of medicine and chairman of the
> Biochemistry Department at St. Louis University and an expert on nutrition
> science argued that the recommendations were not supported by the available
> science. In Dr. Olson's words:
> <http://openheart.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000196.full> *
>
> *"I pleaded in my report and will plead again orally here for more
> research on the problem before we make announcements to the American
> public."*
>
> *     Senator McGovern, speaking for the commission stated that:
> <http://openheart.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000196.full>*
>
> *"Senators don't have the luxury the research scientist does of waiting
> until every last shred of evidence is in."*
>
> I think it's pretty clear now that the low fat recommendation was
> premature and that the government is responsible for that and the many
> deaths that it caused.
>
> -Dave
>
> ​Thank you for this.  But the gov must have listened to others than
> Olson.  And the AMA must have had a hand in it somewhere, eh?  And
> associations of heart doctors, and...................

​I blame all of them and if you want to blame the gov most, I'll not
disagree.  Now - why are we not having gov inquiries like this on sugar?
They (who?) got rid of high fructose sugars, but all sugars are to blame,
no?

Since we now know that Olson was right, it is curious why the proper
research was not done following the commission's report.  Did the gov
simply not want to fund such?  Did the medical community decide that the
facts were in?

"Mistakes were made."  Yeah, apparently by everyone concerned.  In
addition, I wonder what closed door deals were made.  Surely there were
some.

bill w    ​