[ExI] Political correctness consequences

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 22:31:41 UTC 2016

On Aug 3, 2016, at 3:12 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What periods or places have shown ideological diversity among elites?
> Dr Anders Sandberg
> Future of Humanity Institute
> Oxford Martin School
> Oxford University
> I really hope someone will answer this. If 'elites' mean those in power, then I'd guess none and no place unless you count multiple political parties.  Too much suppression of dissent in history.

I think periods of elite fragmentation might show high ideological diversity amongst elites. However, elite fragmentation need not be synonymous with ideological diversity. After all, each faction might agree on many fundamentals and just disagree on who should be in charge. (Stephen Walt's _The Origins of Alliances_ seems to show low ideological diversity might actually result in more conflict -- at least amongst nations rather than within a national elite.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my latest Kindle book, "The Late Mr. Gurlitt," at:
http://mybook.to/Gurlitt