[ExI] chinese to test robo-taxis

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:48:41 UTC 2016

On 18 August 2016 at 15:35, spike  wrote:

> Cool, they are going to test a self-driving taxi:
>
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-uber-to-jointly-develop-autonomous-sport-utility-vehicles-1471518577
>
> I am annoyed that they are using Chinese cars as a platform, but I will get
> over it.  China probably has a fairly similar problem to the states:
> drunkard is in no condition to drive at 0200 when the bar closes, could call
> a taxi, but if so, faces the risk the driver could take advantage of her in
> that condition.  China has four times the number of people, so it stands to
> reason they would have four times the number of drunks needing a safe ride
> home.  Economies of scale make things happen.

Uber is starting self-driving taxis *this month* in Pittsburg.
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-08-18/uber-s-first-self-driving-fleet-arrives-in-pittsburgh-this-month-is06r7on>
Quote:
Starting later this month, Uber will allow customers in downtown
Pittsburgh to summon self-driving cars from their phones, crossing an
important milestone that no automotive or technology company has yet
achieved.
Uber’s Pittsburgh fleet, which will be supervised by humans in the
driver’s seat for the time being, consists of specially modified Volvo
XC90 sport-utility vehicles outfitted with dozens of sensors that use
cameras, lasers, radar, and GPS receivers.
-------

USA drunkards get to be the first!  :)

BillK