[ExI] chinese to test robo-taxis

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:04:37 UTC 2016

On Aug 18, 2016, at 7:35 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Cool, they are going to test a self-driving taxi:
>
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-uber-to-jointly-develop-autonomous-sport-utility-vehicles-1471518577
>
> I am annoyed that they are using Chinese cars as a platform, but I will get over it.  China probably has a fairly similar problem to the states: drunkard is in no condition to drive at 0200 when the bar closes, could call a taxi, but if so, faces the risk the driver could take advantage of her in that condition.  China has four times the number of people, so it stands to reason they would have four times the number of drunks needing a safe ride home.  Economies of scale make things happen.

I'm not sure the rate of drunkenness is the same for both nations, so not sure if China has four times the number as the US. In fact, according to this, alcohol consumption is China was about a third lower (not surprising to me) than in the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

(Note that India's rate is about half the US's.)

How does this map onto how many people might get drunk and might get drunk and need a cab home? Not sure.

Anyhow, I'm happy to see someone trying this out.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst