[ExI] google classroom, was: RE: Meta question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 20:54:59 UTC 2016

Result: a sharp motivated student can get from basic addition to calculus in
four years rather than the usual twelve, and once they do, they know
everything in between much better and can use it far more effectively.

spike

I have no comment on math education as I know nothing about it outside of
statistics.  You have seen it work and that is good enough for me.

Once we move outside of math, however, there are certain features to
education in which students may not be able to move as fast as they can in
math.  I refer you to Bloom's taxonomy, link below:

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html

Look esp. at the cognitive realm and tell me that 12 year old students can
go all the way through those steps.  He cannot.  His brain is simply not
ready.

I found that I did not understand some concepts until I was out of grad
school - not fully.  Of course I was 26 and perhaps, as I had evinced
earlier, was a slow grower, not peaking until my 30s in some regards.

But, like everything else, the proof is in the pudding, and it may be that
the Google approach will work for areas outside of math.  I'd like to see
the research.

As for brain readiness, I note with some humor that psych 101 was not to be
taken by freshmen when I went to college and when I started teaching
college some ten years later that was still the case, though it changed in
the 70s.

In sum, I think psychology cannot be taught effectively the way you
describe:  watch a DVD for 20 minutes, do some practice work, and so on.

Now History - I never had a good teacher and think that maybe it can't be
taught any way at all.  I never made above a C in it except for Ancient
History (easier teacher probably, as it was not a popular course).  Ss
should be given a History DVD and tested later.  No need for a teacher!

bill w