[ExI] four seasons tree

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 17 17:53:09 UTC 2016

From: spike [mailto:spike66 at att.net]
Subject: four seasons tree

>. how cool it would be if we could figure out some kind of systematic means
of recording into some kind of web-based collective database or some means
of recording systematically nature observations.How do we data-fy birds?
Bugs?  Spike

For instance.

Are all honeybees the same size?  How does that happen?  Why does that
happen?  We know that in mammals if food is plentiful during the
rapid-growth phase, the organism is generally healthier and grows bigger,
particularly if there is plenty of high-fat food available.  We know that
bees have good years and bad years where they thrive or starve.  OK so do
bees grow after they emerge?  One would think so, ja?  If it is an abundant
year, do they grow bigger than a sparse year?  If so, would not the
frequency of their wings be slightly lower?  And if so, could not we measure
it and record it over time?  Take a favored bee hangout (hover-out?) and set
up a microphone with a RaspberryPi doing realtime Fourier analysis, couldn't
we figure out if the local bees are healthy and big or are hungry and puny?

If not bees, how about hummingbirds?  Those guys definitely grow in
proportion to available food, ja?  I am not sure about bees, but birds do.
Hummingbirds would be easier to Fourier some data, since their
characteristic frequency is lower.

Perhaps we could get a jillion citizen scientists doing this kind of
automated observation, and get it into numbers rather than useless verbiage,
then put the data where we can all get to it and start extracting the signal
from the noise.  We have been rattling our jaws for so long about climate
change this and that, but what we really need is this kind of data so see if
we can find long-term correlations like this.